Subscribed, but don't have a login?
Activate your digital access.Firefighters shocked to find dogs, birds, goats safely hiding in smoke-filled Hanover homeCLOSE
Crews responded to the 400 block of Highland Avenue for a reported house fire Monday.
Hanover area fire crews rescued seven animals from a house fire in the 400 block of Highland Avenue on Monday.
The call was dispatched around 1 p.m., according to York County 911. The fire appeared to have started on a back porch and extended up the side of the house, Hanover Fire Chief Anthony Clousher said Monday.
Several animals — three dogs, two goats and two birds — were taken from the property. No people were in the house at the time the fire started, Clousher said.
The homeowner could not immediately be reached for comment.
Finding the animals alive shocked Clousher given the amount of smoke that was in the hope.
"It surprised me they survived, but they found a place to hide," he said.
A paramedic that checked the dogs said their airways seemed clear of soot or ash.
John Carr was visiting his son in the neighborhood when he spotted the smoke and called 911.
"It was heavy smoke, but I thought it was a wood stove," Carr said. "It turned out to be more serious. Once I saw the flames coming out, I knew it was nothing good."
Trisha Malone works with the homeowner at Happy Hounds Homeward Bound animal rescue, a foster-based organization. Malone was told the animals might not have made it. She started to cry when she learned all were safe.
"A house you can rebuild, but you can't replace your pets," she said, adding that the animals were not fosters and lived permanently with the homeowner.
This story has been updated to include more information from authorities and people at the scene.
Read or Share this story: http://evesun.co/2nU7wPQOriginal Article